Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Use it up!

In my quest to reduce our grocery budget, I have realized how much I waste. Since I have started making a weekly meal plan we never eat leftovers. Seriously, never. Nope, not even for lunch. I wish we did. I grew up in a house where we lived on leftovers. I learned to cook big. I have been trying to scale back or at least incorporate leftovers into another meal during the week.

Yesterday I bought a 5-lb. bag of potatoes. I don't think I have ever finished using a bag of potatoes, except at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I read a post on another blog (I'm sorry I don't remember which one!) about freezing twice baked potatoes. I love twice baked potatoes, but they are kind of a pain to make. Well, yesterday I took the bigger potatoes out of the bag and made once baked potatoes. And then I froze them, individually. They will be twice baked once they are baked again. Hubby asked me how to warm them up. I suddenly realized I don't know how to warm them up. I guess I will thaw them in the microwave and them bake them like normal. If any of you freeze twice bakes please tell me the best way to warm them.

EDITED TO ADD: I researched and you can do all the steps except baking a second time if you want to freeze them. When you want to thaw them you just put them in the microwave for 10 min. and then a 350 oven for 15-20 min. Don't forget the cheese on top! Here's the recipe I use from allrecipes.com.

ULTIMATE TWICE BAKED POTATOES

INGREDIENTS

* 4 large baking potatoes
* 8 slices bacon
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup milk
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
* 8 green onions, sliced, divided

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Bake potatoes in preheated oven for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
4. When potatoes are done allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh into a large bowl; save skins. To the potato flesh add sour cream, milk, butter, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 the green onions. Mix with a hand mixer until well blended and creamy. Spoon the mixture into the potato skins. Top each with remaining cheese, green onions and bacon.
5. Bake for another 15 minutes.

1 comment:

PT said...

Mmmm. Sounds so good. I need to try this.

I usually hate leftovers too. When we cook big it has to be my absolute favorite dishes. Even then I'm a bit tired of the mean after a couple of times.