Saturday, August 2, 2008

Popsicles for breakfast?

In my quest to be the coolest Mom ever I let the girls help me make these today. Actually, I was reading FishMama's blog and felt guilty for being so grumpy the past few days. My girls LOVE to help me cook. I think it's because I'm usually OCD when it comes to cooking. Anyway, we went to Target, got the ingredients and made the pops. Peyton wants a pudding pop at least 2 or 3 times a day. I was watching Martha Stewart this morning and she made these popsicles. With the ingredients, I would let Peyton have these for breakfast or snack time. They are in the freezer now. Hopefully they turn out.

1 1/2 c. organic yogurt (I used vanilla, Martha used plain)
3 tbsp sugar
2-3 ripe bananas
1 c. fresh blueberries
1/2 lemon's juice

Puree the peeled bananas in food processor. Add yogurt, sugar, lemon juice. Puree again. Add blueberries and quickly puree. (You want the blueberries to stay a bit in tact, like in muffins.) Pour mixture into popsicle molds and freeze for 8 hours.

They are basically just frozen smoothies. My kids don't like bananas so I used some frozen strawberries and peaches. We buy the gigantic bag of Dole frozen diced fruit at Sam's. It doesn't have any sugar added so it's great for smoothies and such.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hi! I found your blog through HCTS. I will be sure to check in from time to time as I am always looking for ways to cut expenses. I love the popsicle idea for breakfast, very healthy. I have a yogurt maker that I really need to try out and then I could make popsicles with it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.