Thursday, February 28, 2008

Pantry Shopping

It's always amazing to me when I "shop" from my pantry. I decided to make tostadas for dinner. Then I discovered that I didn't have any mexican rice. Instead of scrapping dinner all together or settling for Hamburger Helper (blech) I used my noodle and got on http://www.allrecipes.com/ and found a recipe for mexican rice that used ingredients I had in the pantry. Dinner is saved! I have made numerous things from allrecipes just so I wouldn't lose an item or to replace an item I usually buy. Hooray for pantry shopping! ( I will post the recipe after I see if we like it. It's in the oven now.)
UPDATE: Good news, we liked it. Hope you all enjoy too.

Simple Mexican Rice
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 cup uncooked short-grain white rice (I used Minute Rice)
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup tomato paste (I used tomato sauce)
READ REVIEWS (39)
DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is translucent. Stir in the chili powder and cumin, and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the rice, chicken broth and tomato paste, and bring to a boil. Transfer to a 1 quart casserole dish, and cover with aluminum foil or a lid.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender. Let rest for 3 to 5 minutes before serving.

No comments: