Monday, September 1, 2008

Menu Plan Monday- with recipes

I finally did it. I spent 39.67 at the store today. Under $40! But then I remembered I had to get milk and eggs. And butter. Darn it! So, my goal of a $40 a week grocery budget is still in the distance. Sigh. Here's the plan for this week.

Monday- Chicken and Veggie Stir-fry, Chicken Fried Rice, Egg Drop Soup

I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com for stirfry, but I forgot that I had found it. So I bought some stir fry sauce at the store. I'll stick with the sauce, and let you know how it turns out. If you've never made egg drop soup, it is ridiculously easy. Basically, you boil chicken broth, beat an egg and drop in forkfuls into the boiling broth. I know, too easy right?

Tuesday- French Dip Sandwiches, grilled corn, butter and garlic pasta

I am using the leftover roast from Sunday for these. Broil some hoagie rolls, add provolone and use the juice from the roast to dip. Yummy!

Wednesday- Chicken quesadillas, rice, and black beans

I made extra chicken when we had fajitas last week for these. Add some fresh grilled onions to the chicken and cheese. I make these like a grilled cheese sandwich, only with tortillas. Put a little olive oil in the pan, and wait for the cheese to melt. Then cut into quarters.

Thursday- Broccoli and Chicken Casserole, Garlic Bread, Salad

I posted this recipe a few weeks back. (Click on recipe link.) I really like this one because I can keep the ingredients on hand all the time. Everything is in the freezer, or pantry.

Friday- Sandwiches, Soup and Salad

Saturday- Homemade pizza, salad

I know I am going against all the other ladies here but I have a secret. I use Jiffy pizza crust mix. SHHHHHHHHHH! It's only .48 a box, and I don't have to measure anything. If I had a lot of time on my hands I would pre-measure these into ziploc bags but I have kids. And a job. And pets. And a hubby. Maybe one of these days when I get a day to myself, this will be one of the things I will do. Until then, I will spend .48!

I do not have Sunday planned because this week is the end of my first attempt at a 1 month menu plan. I really enjoyed not having to think of a plan each week. I just looked at my week at the beginning of the week, and got the things I needed. This seriously cut down on the thinking time. It only took me about an hour one afternoon to write the plan for the month. I think I will do it again for September!

Please link us to your menu plan on the comments page. I have 30 meals to write. I know I need some inspiration!

No comments: