Saturday, January 10, 2009

Groceries......

I have noticed since I have been serious about couponing that I have a lot of random groceries. While I get them either free or close to free, they take up space. And it looks like I have LOTS of stuff. Which I do, just nothing I can make a meal out of. So tonight I went to three different stores. Instead of holding myself to a tight budget, I bought things we needed and some things we wanted. It does me no good to save money on things that no one really wants, like Bagelfuls. I got 2 boxes for free a few months back, and still they sit. Taking up space in my freezer. Valuable space. The point is, if we have a house full of groceries that no one will eat, I am not accomplishing anything. I have given myself such a mental block that it made me sick to pay full price for peanut butter. But we love peanut butter. I got so much for soooooooo cheap last summer that I didn't want to BUY it. I think what I am trying to say is, from this point forward, I will only buy things that we will use. Or that I can get for free. But I must have a place to store it, in order to sell it at my next garage sale.
I spent $110 on groceries today. I couldn't tell you the last time I spent more than $50 in one week. I feel like I'm confessing!! I'm okay with it because it will save us in the long run. Everyone has some of their favorite things so no one will be whining about wanting to go out to dinner. Sometimes it's better to spend a little more and keep the peace.

No comments: